While embarking on high altitude adventurous trek like Uttarey Singalila it is important to understand the implication and effect of high altitude on your body. The height gain during Uttarey Singalila Trek is quite rapid and straight which creates the possibilities of AMS.
You need to have a basic or good knowledge about High altitude sickness and acute mountain sickness to lower your risk of getting affected with AMS.
Acute Mountains sickness usually happens above 3000 m. It normally happens when there is less oxygen in the air. The main section during the Uttarey Singalila Trek where trekkers normally experience high altitude sickness is between Chewabhanjyang to Dhor, Dafey Bhir, and Dzongri and the above area.
To safeguard yourself from Acute mountain sickness it is extremely important to take acclimatization and rest days at Chewabhanjyang, Pangding/Dzongri, and certain specific locations. Apart from acclimatization, Dzongri is also the main point during this trek for its viewpoint from where one can have a most spectacular and panoramic sunrise and snow-capped mountain views.
If you feel sick or uneasy then do not ignore it or take it lightly. Immediately inform the Guide and start taking curative measures. Check Oxygen level, take Diamox, and rest. Our staff will make sure to provide you with Garlic soup and popcorn which helps to acclimatize. If the symptoms do not fade away after a few hours or overnight then do not proceed further on the trek.
For your safety Oximeter, Thermometer, and Oxygen Cylinder will be available with the staff.
Symptoms of AMS:
Headache, Nausea, Vomiting, Sleeplessness, Insomnia, Loss of Appetite, Fatigue, Weakness, Breathlessness, Dizziness,
* Drink lots of water. Your water intake has to be at least 3 times more than what you usually take in your normal day to day life
* Ascend slowly and gradually. It is advisable to climb slowly at a normal pace without exertion. According to a study, you should not gain more than 500 m (1640 ft) per day, or else the chances of AMS are higher. In case of more than 1000 m altitude gain on a day, it is necessary to take extra rest and acclimatization day at the same camp.
* Climb high and sleep at lower altitude. For proper acclimatization, it is recommended to trek at a higher altitude and sleeps at a lower altitude. After reaching the campsite you can hike to the higher point and descend back to the campsite to sleep.
* Take proper rest between the walk. It is important to take a short and meaningful break between the walk to catch up and maintain your breath. Maintaining a normal breathing rhythm is very important
* High Carbohydrate and Protein food. Taking hygienic high carbohydrate and protein food is essential during the trek. Good long-lasting energy food is important.
* Avoid Alcohol and Smoking. Consumption of Alcohol and smoking have a severe negative impact on health at high altitudes and it can contribute to the chances of contracting altitude sickness.
* Avoid exposing yourself to cold and cold drinking water. Wear good warm clothing as soon as you reach the campsite and keep yourself adequately warm and comfortable. Avoid drinking cold and unboiled drinking water. Even if you get caught up with just a regular cold it can contribute to exposing yourself to AMS. Always drink properly boiled drinking water during the Trek.
Mingma! Julay!namestey! hope you are in good health. Sorry to write you lately. Our trip to Thiland made us busy so we were unable to write you back. Mingma the trekking was well organised and I had a wonderful time with you.. . Ladhak is a wonderful place and your guiding made it much much better. We all are very happy and eager to visit your country sikkim next time.
The way you describe sikkim, it really seems to be a nice place. We will promote for you wherever we go. Thanks for your support when the chips were down..
Convey our regards to Jigmee,Arun and Horse man. Hope we will meet then again. Harry,Dorris Michael and Gracy Switzerland 2009
Max, hope you are doing fine business. We are thankful for your warm guidance and wonderful trekking arrangements in a short time. Mingma the food was excellent. We will return to sikkim with friends and family someday. We would no doubt recommend your company mountain tours and treks to all of our friends who want to visit India and specially sikkim and Darjeeling. Adam and wanda Netherland. 2010
Mingma, thanks for your mail. We are still in kerela and doing familiarization trip. Its very hot out here. Mingma your trekking arrangements was good and we had no hesitation in recommending your company. Your guide and cook was very good. We had more than enough varieties of food everyday. We surely hope that you will do well.
Well take care and best of luck Andrew, Roben and David Switzerland 2011 feb