Citizens of all countries in the world (including Commonwealth) require a valid Passport and Indian Visa to visit Sikkim apart from Sikkim Inner Line Permit or Restricted Area Permit.
SIKKIM INNER LINE PERMIT / RESTRICTED AREA PERMIT (RAP)
Foreigners must obtain Inner Line Permit (ILP) or Restricted Area Permit (RAP) to visit Sikkim on the strength of valid Indian Visa and Passport. These permit can be obtained on the strength of a photocopy of Indian Visa, Passport and 2 passport size photograph along with the showing of the original copy for stamp. The 30 days duration Permit is issued on the spot without any delay provided photocopies of the passport and visa along with two passport photos of the applicants are made available. The permissible duration of the stay for foreign tourists is 30 days initially. The state Government is authorised to extend the same by the further period of 30 days. The extension of the Permit can be done from FRO at Gangtok and the office of the Superitendent of Police of North, South and West Sikkim.
INNER LINE PERMIT or RESTRICTED AREA PERMIT is issued free of cost by :
1. Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India, Lok Nayak Bhawan, New Delhi.
2. All Foreigners Registration Officers.
3. All Indian Mission Abroad.
4. Immigration Officers at Airports at Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai and New Delhi.
5. Deputy Director, Tourism Department, Government of Sikkim, Pradhan Nagar , SNT Complex, Siliguri , West Bengal.
6. Assistant Director, Tourism Department, Government of Sikkim. Panchasheel Marg. Sikkim House, New Delhi.
7. Assistant Director, Tourism Department, Government of Sikkim 4/1Middleton Street, Kolkata . Tele. Fax No. 033 22817905.
8. Assistant Director, Tourism Department, Government of Sikkim, Sikkim Tourism Office, Rangpo , East Sikkim.
9. Assistant Director, Tourism Department, Government of Sikkim, Melli, Near Melli Police Check Post, South Sikkim.
10. Residence Commissioner, Government of Sikkim, Sikkim House, New Delhi.
11. Deputy Commissioner, Darjeeling, West Bengal.
12. Deputy Secretary/ Under Secretary, Home Department, Government of West Bengal,Kolkata.
13. Sikkim Tourism Counter at Bagdogra Airport, Siliguri.
# Nationalities of Pakistan, China, Myanmar and Nigeria will not be issued Sikkim Permit without the prior approval of the Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India.
# Restriction on the entry of Bangladeshi National to Sikkim has been lifted on 21st Nov 2018. Now Bangladeshi can enter and explore Sikkim.
PROTECTED AREA PERMIT (PAP)
Protected Area Permit is issued to those travelers and trekkers who wish to explore and trek the protected region within Sikkim. Both Indian and Foreign national need to obtain the Protected Area Permit to visit area categorized as Protected area. Travelers and Trekkers can obtain Protected Area Permit only through the registered local travel agents of Sikkim.
# Places categorized as Protected Area within Sikkim is as follow:
DZONGRI TREK, GOECHALA TREK, KANCHENDZONGA TREK, SINGALILA TREK, KASTURI TREK, GREEN LAKE TREK, YUMTHANG VALLEY, GURUDONGMAR LAKE, THANGU, CHOPTA VALLEY, YUMESAMDUNG, NATHULA, BABA MANDIR & TSONGU LAKE
# Foreigners can apply online for the Provisional Sikkim Inner line Permit through this link -
Mingma! Julay!namestey! hope you are in good health. Sorry to write you lately. Our trip to Thiland made us busy so we were unable to write you back. Mingma the trekking was well organised and I had a wonderful time with you.. . Ladhak is a wonderful place and your guiding made it much much better. We all are very happy and eager to visit your country sikkim next time.
The way you describe sikkim, it really seems to be a nice place. We will promote for you wherever we go. Thanks for your support when the chips were down..
Convey our regards to Jigmee,Arun and Horse man. Hope we will meet then again. Harry,Dorris Michael and Gracy Switzerland 2009
Max, hope you are doing fine business. We are thankful for your warm guidance and wonderful trekking arrangements in a short time. Mingma the food was excellent. We will return to sikkim with friends and family someday. We would no doubt recommend your company mountain tours and treks to all of our friends who want to visit India and specially sikkim and Darjeeling. Adam and wanda Netherland. 2010
Mingma, thanks for your mail. We are still in kerela and doing familiarization trip. Its very hot out here. Mingma your trekking arrangements was good and we had no hesitation in recommending your company. Your guide and cook was very good. We had more than enough varieties of food everyday. We surely hope that you will do well.
Well take care and best of luck Andrew, Roben and David Switzerland 2011 feb